Your rights, your information and how we use it
Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd is committed to protecting your personal data.
Who we are and how to contact us
FAO Data Protection Officer
Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd
3 New Road
What personal information we collect and use
The data about you that we collect and use includes:
- information about who you are, e.g. your name, date of birth and contact details
- information connected to your service agreement with us
- information relevant to the accounts we manage on your behalf, or on behalf of your children
- information classified as ‘sensitive’ personal information, e.g. relating to your health, marital or civil partnership status. This information will only be collected and used when it’s needed in order to provide the product or service you have requested, or to comply with our legal obligations
- information you may provide us about other people, e.g. joint applicants, powers of attorney or beneficiaries for products you have with us
- information on your children or financial dependants in order to discuss your financial circumstances
- information about your contact with us, e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails / letters – please note all telephone calls are recorded, emails and letters are stored on our back-office system, and all meetings are noted
- information if you visit our office, e.g. visual images collected via closed circuit television (CCTV).
How we collect your personal information
We may collect your personal information directly from you, using a variety of sources, including:
- application forms for a product or service
- phone conversations with us
- emails or letters you send to us
- meetings with one of our financial advisers.
If you are a member of your employer’s pension scheme, the information we collect and use will most likely have been provided by your employer on your behalf.
We may also collect personal information on you from places such as business directories and other commercially or publicly available sources. The reason for this may be, for example, to check or improve the information we hold (such as your address) or to give better contact information if we are unable to contact you directly.
Why we collect your personal information
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use your personal data where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so.
We will collect and use your information only where:
- it is necessary to provide the product or service you have requested, e.g. if you wish to invest in a pension, we will require some personal information including your name, address, date of birth, national insurance number and bank account details
- it is necessary for us to meet our legal or regulatory obligations, e.g. to tell you about changes to Terms and Conditions, or for the detection and prevention of fraud or money-laundering activities
- you have given us your permission (consent) to send you information about products and services offered by Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd and / or selected third parties we have chosen to work with, which we believe may be of interest and benefit to you
- it is in the legitimate interests of a third party, e.g. sharing information with your employer for the governance of a pension scheme of which you are a member.
If you do not wish us to collect and use your personal information in these ways, it may mean that we will be unable to provide you with our services.
Processing of Personal Information
The services contained in this section enable Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd to monitor and analyse web traffic and can be used to keep track of User behaviour.
Google Analytics (Google Ireland Limited)
Google Analytics is a web analysis service provided by Google Ireland Limited (“Google”). Google utilises the Data collected to track and examine the use of this Application, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services.
Google may use the Data collected to contextualise and personalise the ads of its own advertising network.
Personal Data processed: Tracker; Usage Data.
Contacting the User
By filling in the contact form with their Data, the User authorises Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd to use these details to reply to requests for information, quotes or any other kind of request as indicated by the form’s header.
Personal Data processed: company name; email address; first name; last name; phone number.
Managing contacts and sending messages
This type of service makes it possible to manage a database of email contacts, phone contacts or any other contact information to communicate with the User.
These services may also collect data concerning the date and time when the message was viewed by the User, as well as when the User interacted with it, such as by clicking on links included in the message.
Disclosure to third parties
We will share your information with third parties for the reasons outlined in ‘Why we collect your personal information’.
These third parties may include:
- companies we have chosen to support us in the delivery of the services we offer to you, e.g. platform and product providers
- your employer
- our regulators and Supervisory Authority, e.g. the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the Information Commissioner’s Office for the UK (the ICO)
- law enforcement, credit and identity check agencies for the prevention and detection of crime.
We will never sell your details to someone else. Whenever we share your personal information, we will do so in line with our service agreement with you and our obligations to keep your information safe and secure.
How we protect your personal information
We take data and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, online or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data protection obligations.
Your information is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our employees also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting information electronically and must undertake regular training on this.
Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing a controlled environment that effectively manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your information.
How long we keep your personal information
We will keep your personal information only where it is necessary to provide you with our products or services while you are a customer.
We may also keep your information after this period, but only where required to meet our legal or regulatory obligations. The length of time we keep your information for these purposes will vary depending on the obligations we need to meet but will be for at least six years following the closure of a product, or the termination of any agreement you have with us.
Your individual rights
This section sets out your rights in relation to how Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd uses your information.
Right to be informed
You have a right to receive clear and easy-to-understand information on what personal information we have, why and who we share it with.
Right of access
You have the right of access to your personal information. If you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold on you, you may make a data subject access request (DSAR).
Right to request that your personal information be rectified
If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can request that it is corrected.
Right to request erasure
You can ask for your information to be deleted or removed if there is not a compelling reason for Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd to continue to have it.
Right to restrict processing
You can ask that we block or suppress the processing of your personal information for certain reasons. This means that we are still permitted to keep your information – but only to ensure we don’t use it in the future for those reasons you have restricted.
Right to data portability
You can ask for a copy of your personal information for your own purposes to use across different services.
Right to object
You can object to Macbeth Scott Life & Pension Services Ltd processing your personal information where it’s based on our legitimate interests. Although we rarely contact our clients for direct marketing, you can specifically opt out of future communications. You can also opt out of our using your data for management information, such as historic research and statistics.
How to make a complaint
If you are still unhappy, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Or via their website: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/